Thursday, August 22, 2013

Wentworth Miller Comes Out As Gay



Prison Break actor Wentworth Miller came out of the closet today in a letter to the St. Petersburg International Film Festival declining an invitation to appear there.

Wrote Miller in a letter published on GLAAD's website:

Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes.

However, as a gay man, I must decline.

I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government. The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly.

Perhaps, when and if circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment